28 January 2010

So disappointed...

So I was excited today to see that images of the Valentino Haute Couture Summer 2010 collection were online....until I actually saw them. The collections haven't been the same since Valentino retired from designing for the house in 2007 but I've been checking out every show since hoping that there would be a return to the amazing design and continuity Valentino provided, but to me this latest Haute Couture collection couldn't be further from it. Where are the pretty, girlie details, opulent red carpet gowns, beautifully cut feminine jackets, timeless styles - these are all the things I used to love about Valentino and that made him my favorite designer along side Elie Saab. I think it's time for me to accept that the Valentino collections will never be the same without the master designing it and that now it is a brand with his name on it taking a different direction, appealing to a new audience. I prefer to stay enthralled in his past mastery and there is certainly plenty to be admired from Valentino Garavani's spectacular 45 year career...here are just a couple of my favorites from the last few collections he designed.



Spring 2007 RTW

Spring 2007 RTW

Spring 2008 RTW

Spring 2008 RTW

   And from his final collection, Spring 2008 Haute Couture
All images from style.com



2 comments:

  1. I agree! I absolutely adored Valentino before Mr Valentino retired...I really wish I could have bought something from that period! Maybe I'll be lucky enought to get something vintage one day :)

    The new collections have lost a lot of the old appeal now haven't they?

    I used to think of absolute glamour and elegance...and Valentino red, of course.

    Now....hmmmmm :)

    BTW, love the way you write - so eloquent!

    <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Porcelain Blonde getting something vintage would be absolutely amazing! There's going to be an exhibition of his past work at the Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane in August/September this year I think, Brisbane is home for me so I will definitely be travelling back for that, I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete